Salted Caramel Cheesecake
From Royal Chef Darren McGrady
Makes one 10 inch spring form pan
For the base:
- 2 cups Walkers Shortbread crumbs (about 1 ½ packs Pure Shortbread Rounds) Use the gluten free Walkers shortbread cookies to make delicious gluten free dessert
- 1 stick unsalted butter (melted)
- 5 tbs Muscovado sugar or brown sugar
For the filling;
- 48 oz cream cheese
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup sour cream
- 8 eggs
- ¾ cup cream
- 3 tbs vanilla paste
For the caramel sauce;
- 4 ounces granulated sugar
- 2 fluid ounces water
- 7 fluid ounces heavy cream
- 2 ounces unsalted butter
- pinch of Maldon sea salt ( or any other good sea salt)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line the outside of a 10 inch spring form pan with aluminum foil. Remove the cream cheese from the refrigerator to soften.
Place the Walkers shortbread into a food processor to make fine crumbs. Add the crumbs and sugar to the melted butter and stir until combined. Press into the bottom of the spring form pan. Place the spring form pan onto a deep baking pan.
In a mixing bowl beat the cream cheese until soft and add the sugar, vanilla paste and sour cream. Blend together and add the eggs followed by the heavy cream. Pour the mixture carefully over the top of the crumbs.
Bake in the center of the oven for about 45 minutes - 1 hour – until sides of cheesecake are firm but center is still soft. Refrigerate overnight.
Prepare the caramel sauce by dissolving the sugar in the water in a heavy based pan and bringing it to a boil. Cook until it turns dark caramel. Carefully stir half of the cream, remove from the heat and stir in the remaining cream, butter and salt to form a smooth sauce. Allow the caramel to cool before pouring over the cheesecake in front of your guests.