Gingerbread Cookie Cupcakes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: 14-16 cupcakes
Difficulty Level: Medium
For the cupcake:
- ½ cup (110g) light brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup (48g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (118ml) vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup (118ml) molasses
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (48g) light sour cream
- 1 ½ cups (210g) all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons (5.6g) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- ½ cup (118ml) milk
For the frosting:
- 1 package (4.4oz) Walkers Shortbread Gingerbread Men
- 1 ¼ cups (282g) unsalted butter, cold
- 3 ½ cups (455g) powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon (14g) brown sugar, packed
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) heavy whipping cream
- 2 packages (4.4oz) Walkers Shortbread Gingerbread Men for garnish
- For the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugars, vegetable oil, eggs, molasses and vanilla extract and sour cream. Beat on medium speed until the well combined. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
- In a medium size bowl, combine all remaining dry ingredients. Then, add half the dry ingredients to the batter followed by half the milk and beat until it starts to combine.
- Finally add the remaining dry ingredients and the milk, beat until all of the ingredients are well combined. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Using a large cookie scoop, divide the batter evenly, filling each liner 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350°F for 14-16 minutes. Test the cupcakes for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are done. Cool completely.
- For the frosting: Use a food processor or a knife to finely chop 1 package (8 cookies) of the Gingerbread Men into fine crumbs, should make approximately 1 ¼ cups of crumbs.
- Cut the butter into pieces. Using the paddle attachment, whip the butter for 3-4 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally. Beat the butter until fluffy.
- Slowly add 2 cups of the powdered sugar and the vanilla extract, mixing on low speed until it’s incorporated into the butter. Then increase the speed to high and beat for 30-60 seconds.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon with the heavy whipping cream and beat until well-combined.
- Finally, add the crushed cookies, beat until incorporated then increase to high speed and beat for 60 seconds.
- Use a large cookie scoop to place the frosting on top of cupcake, gently tap the cupcake on the counter to help the frosting settle. Garnish with another Gingerbread cookie.
- The batter will be quite thin. It’s important that you stir the batter after mixing, to ensure everything on the bottom of the bowl is well mixed.
- Walkers Shortbread Gingerbread Men have 8 cookies in each 4oz package. There’s approximately 1 ¼ cup of crumbs in the frosting. You can also use Walkers Shortbread Mini Gingerbread Men for the frosting or the garnish.
- Sour Cream: You can substitute the light sour cream for Greek yogurt. You can also use full-fat sour cream if needed.
- To make 24 cupcakes simply double the ingredients
- Storage suggestions: If you live in a hot and humid environment then I would suggest that you refrigerate cupcakes that are frosted and allow them to come to room temperature before serving. Otherwise they can be stored in an air-tight container at room temperature.
- Make-ahead: These are best served within 2 days of preparation but will proper storage they can stay fresh for several days. Add the cookie garnish prior to serving.
- Freezing: If needed, flash-freeze the cupcakes on a baking sheet for 15 minutes than transfer them to an air-tight, freezer-safe container. Thaw in the refrigerator for several hours then bring to room temperature prior to serving. If possible, it’s best to store them unfrosted and add the frosting prior to serving.