Mini Preserves Tarts
1 cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup Walkers Shortbread Rounds crumbs (~7 cookies)
2 tablespoons sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ teaspoon cinnamon
12 tablespoons (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 tablespoons Bonne Maman preserves (I used 1 tablespoon fig and 1 tablespoon golden plum)
1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a food processor, blend the shortbreads until they resemble a fine crumb.
- Add the flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon and process for 10 seconds.
- Add butter and process until mixture resembles coarse meal, 15 to 20 seconds.
- Combine 1 egg yolk with 3 tablespoons ice water and 1 teaspoon almond extract.
- Add to flour mixture and process until the dough comes together, about 10 seconds. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Lightly dust a work surface with flour; roll out dough to just thinner than ¼ inch (6 mm). Using a round cookie cutter, cut out shapes and press into a mini cupcake tin. (I used a 2½' round biscuit cutter)
- Use a fork to press down the dough around the edges of each mini cupcake tin. Fill each with 1 teaspoon preserves.
- Lightly brush exposed dough with heavy cream. Bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer tarts from tins to a wire rack to cool. Let cool completely before serving.